Discussions

Here's a really awesome article I just came across. It outlines how much an average DJ made on the EP he released in 2012 after all costs involved.

Point? It's REALLY important to support the artists we know and love in every single way we know how! Whether it's a sticker on your backpack, a 'like', a share, a comment, whatever!

Check it out! Defs worth the read.

How much Nick Thayer made on his "Like Boom" EP

Conversations

Gonna drop a link here: http://www.feature.fm/blog/what-is-going-to-save-the-music-industry/

Within is a very long but impressively thorough examination of economics and technology realities of the music industry, with a boatload of research.

Also this wicked sweet infographic:

img

When we were researching for sourced we came across a stat that independent musicians put in 30 hours/week and make ~$8000/year on average. $5.12/hour, and I'm sure the successful ones are pulling that curve way up too.

There's something wrong when we value the arts so little as a society. How many could-be legends have had to waste their talents in bottom rung jobs just because they needed to pay the bills? Entire movements of music could very well have been lost in the noise, and that means entire changes in our society's collective mind have been lost with them.

Supporting musicians is so important for our society, and if nothing else I hope sourced.fm is able to tell some of the lost stories to show people why its so important.

I'm going to drop Kim Boekbinder's (aka The Impossible Girl) relevant article here too:

What is a Million "Likes" Worth, Numbers that really matter for artists on the internet.

It's a great perspective that tosses a counterpoint at the notion of social shares and looks at the income issue from a different angle. Should have a discussion on its own one day. Also be sure to pop open the sidebar comments on the article, a lot of interesting feedback going on there.

Awesome find Nathan, thank you.

This article really helps to unpack the business reality that exists today. Let's use this as jumping off point to identify every cut. Eventually I'd like to be able to visualize all the chokepoints, all the true value tradeoffs.

Perhaps we can compare it to a more traditional manufacturing supply chain sort of thing: most people can wrap their heads around the fact that their, say, computer doesn't just get made in one place. The raw materials are sourced by a mine, the small components are made in X, the shipping costs for every step add to the price, etc etc etc.

With all the analogous things that go into the "supply chain" of an EP, why has the end price stayed so goddamn low? There's a value perception that's fucked up somewhere. I suspect it's part mentality around art (read: society), it's part technology, and it's also part business model. We may not be able to alter society very fast, and we certainly can't stop technology, but the business model can be challenged. This is where technology is actually on our side as the power tide continues to shift to the talent from the infrastructure.

I realize these are a whole bunch of disparate, slightly unconnected thoughts. They all came rushing out of me because this article had some resonate frequency with the very essence of the business of sourced.fm

To distill:

We can use this article and discussion to help map out the current and future business environment for any artist.